No matter what time of year it is, you are never safe from an ant invasion in your home. Despite their small size, ants can spread quickly throughout your home and damage the structure. This is why it is important to call a professional exterminator as soon as possible!
THE DIFFERENT SPECIES OF ANTS
There are several types of these social insects of which we can name the pharaoh ants, black ants, carpenter ants, pavement ants, etc. This is why it is recommended that you call ant extermination experts to prevent your property from being damaged.
HOW TO RECOGNIZE CARPENTER ANTS ?
In Canada, the red carpenter ant and the black carpenter ant are the two most common species and measure between 0.24 and 1 inch. The red carpenter ant is known by its blackish body with a brown-tinged thorax while the black carpenter ant is entirely black with brown tints.
The queen carpenter ant has a lifespan of about 17 years while the workers have a lifespan of only 7 years. Ant nests can easily reach 2000 ants after 3 years, which is nowadays called a new colony of carpenter ants.
SIGN OF CARPENTER ANTS
There are five different ways to detect its presence.
- Fine sawdust on the floor.
- A cloud of winged ants.
- Visible ants circulating everywhere.
- Invasion in the food.
- Breakage of structures (window or door sill).
HOW TO KEEP ANTS AWAY NATURALLY ?
Here are 10 natural methods that we recommend you use to get rid of carpenter ants:
- You can put coffee grounds at the bottom of the walls.
- You can simply draw a line with chalk on the windowsill.
- You can cut lemon slices and place them near the entry points.
- You can put a branch of lavender or small bags of lavender in places where they usually go.
- Just like with lavender, you can place cinnamon sticks in strategic locations.
- You can simply spray white vinegar or liquid black soap on their spots.
- You can spray peppermint in essential oil. Your home will feel good and at the same time you will keep them away.
- You can sprinkle diatomaceous earth in the corners and cracks. It will act as an ecological and natural insecticide.
- You can place 2 or 3 lids filled with baking soda and sugar in strategic locations like cinnamon sticks.
- You can also use certain chemicals such as dishwashing liquid orhousehold alcohol. (Spray directly on these foraging insects).
GET RID OF CARPENTER ANTS BY TAKING PHYSICAL ACTION
Here are 5 tips to help you get rid of these insects:
- Get rid of wet and rotten wood around buildings.
- Remove firewood and do not store it near buildings.
- Do not bury stumps or wood debris near buildings.
- Find a solution to moisture problems in the home.
- Store food in airtight containers.
Do not hesitate to call a specialist in ant extermination.